Yoga Asanas are physical exercises that affect the body parts and internal organs of the body. There are yoga poses for back pain that will soothe the tension in the lower back and loosens the body parts in the lower back. The benefits of the yoga exercises for lower back pain relief is that it stretches the spine during the asana practice.
The tension accumulated in the lower back is relieved with the practice of yoga asanas for back pain. It has been proved that the practice of yoga for lower back pain is helpful in getting relieved from the nuisance of pain.
Yoga Exercises for Lower Back Pain
Dhanurasana for Lower Back Pain
Dhanurasana is an easy yoga pose for lower back pain relief and also to relax your shoulders, back, legs, thighs, and arms. As the name indicates, Dhanurasana means “bow pose”. It is backward bending asana practiced by lying on the stomach, on the floor. The body looks like a bow in the final position of this asana.
The final posture of this asana is a complete stretch for your shoulders, arms, legs, thighs, and abdomen, and stomach as well. While practicing, the awareness shall be on the abdomen, back, and the contraction and expansion of the stomach.
How to do Bow Pose Yoga – Dhanurasana
- Lie flat on stomach on the yoga mat
- Place your hands on the side of the body
- Slowly fold the legs at the knees as if the ankles come closer to the buttocks
- Raise the hands and catch the legs from both the sides
- Inhale slowly and then pull the legs by grasping on the legs or the feet, so that your face and the upper half of the body is raised
- Your thighs should also be raised from the ground as much as possible
- Pull the legs with your hands as much as possible so that the back of your body bends like a bow
- This is the final stage, retain the breath and remain in this posture for a comfortable duration
- Slowly relieve the legs so that your body is also brought back to the old pose
- Unfold and stretch the legs and bring them back to the normal posture
- Now bring your head also, down to the floor
In the final position, the body is balanced with the stomach alone touching the floor.
Dhanurasana Yoga – Bow Pose Benefits
- Improves digestion by massaging the digestive organs and abdomen
- The alimentary canal is toned reconditioned properly
- Creates a massaging effect for the kidneys and other abdominal organs and helps to burn the excess fat accumulated in the abdominal area
- Constipation can be cured
- Muscles in the back and in the abdominal region are strengthened
- Opens the neck, shoulders as well as the chest
Caution of Dhanur Asana
- This is not advisable for people with high or low blood pressure
- This posture is also not recommended for those with neck injuries / migrane / lower back pain, etc.
- This asana is not recommended for the people with weak heart, hernia.