Pawanmuktasana (Wind Relieving Pose) Yoga helps you to get rid of complaints of the digestive system by relieving the stomach of the stale gases collected therein. That is why this Yoga posture is known as the Wind Relieving Pose. This Yoga posture also strengthens the vertebrae of the neck, muscles of the throat, thyroid, and parathyroid glands.
Steps of Pawanmuktasana Yoga for Beginners
- Lie supine (facing upwards). Fold your right leg at the knee. Interlock the fingers of both your hands (as shown in the picture) and press your knee to the stomach and the chest while exhaling (breathing out).
- Keep the other leg straight and push the toes outward. Remain in this position for some time and then straighten your right leg while inhaling.
- Breathe normally for one-two times and repeat the same exercise with your left leg, while keeping the right leg straight and toes pulled out.
- After exercising your legs separately, bend both your legs at the knees, engage the lower part of your knees with interlocked fingers of your hands, and press the knees against your stomach and chest while breathing out.
- Raise your head and try to bring your nose closer to your knees.
- After remaining in this position for some time, straighten your legs while breathing in.
- Now repeat the process in steps 4 and 5.
- Thereafter, raising your head a little, roll up and down (undergo the motions of a swing). Many Yoga practitioners have also called this Yoga posture “The Rolling Posture”.
- Now, while holding your knees with interlocked fingers of your hands and pressing them towards your stomach and chest, roll down on your left side. Simultaneously tilt your head towards the right side.
- In the end, separate your knees, release your fingers and straighten your legs while breathing in.
Benefits of Pawanmuktasana Yoga
- With the help of this Yoga posture, you can get rid of your intestinal gas quickly. Relief is obtained in complaints of constipation, gas, acidity, and bloating.
- The slight pressure on the liver, makes it active, which gives some relief to diabetic persons. Those of you suffering from gas, belching, etc, must perform this Yoga posture.
- This posture also reduces body fat and obesity and strengthens the spinal column.
- This Yoga posture also relieves the complaints of the lungs and heart.
- The rolling function massages the muscles of the back and spinal column. Therefore, the tension of the back gets relieved. Blood circulations increases and this removes laziness.
Meditation During Pawanmuktasana
During Pawanmuktasana Yoga, one should meditate on one’s nostrils or the Mooladhar Chakra*.
Note: Initially, obese persons may face difficulty with this Yoga posture. They may not be able to touch their chin with their knees. They should try to bring their chin as closer to their knees as possible. For such persons, it is beneficial to roll on both left and right side, while bending their knees end engaging them in the loop of hands with interlocked fingers and pressing them towards their chest.